Why do I have to sell my self?

Life is a weird weird place... I just dont get it anymore... not that i ever did, mind you!

Everyone keeps telling me that I have to sell myself in order to succeed at work, inorder to be noticed, inorder to be promoted! I have to sell my values, exagerate the simple truth and paint a picture of myself that Da Vinci cant compete with!

Why do I have to auction my quality of work to see who bids the most on it and not simply be appreciated for my integrity and honesty?

Poeple keep telling me to play the "I'm going to quit" card inorder to get a salary raise?! How can people do that?! I have to threathen you to get your respect and get myself a higher pay?! what kind of twisted logic is that?!

And apparently, that's how it works everywhere... you have to always test your worth... and that's just sad... very, very sad.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

4 Response to "Why do I have to sell my self?"

  1. ibeebarbie says:
    March 5, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

    Salam Romana,

    I've never understood that myself, which is why I tend to be more of an self-employed kinda gal. However, even at that which is seemingly giving one a little more control over their value----that value still depends on whether someone else will pay that or not. So back in the loop of someone else setting our value which is absolutely ridiculous. Nonetheless, what I've learned for myself is my self-respect, loyalty and values are priceless regardless what the "world" wants to value it as.......so know regardless of what's transpiring on the outside (world) on the inside YOU are priceless. :-)

  2. Libyan Violet says:
    March 7, 2009 at 7:17 p.m.

    Romana I had that kind of problem as well but then I understood that not all people look at the details and the work you do as you think they would which is why you have to market it and point to it so that it gets the recognition it deserves. It sounds a bit silly to me but that's how life is among the crowded competition. A diamond will always show but you if it is buried in the sand you need to extract it and put it on display... I just invented that so not sure if I was able to make my point. In the end good luck in everything I'm sure you'll be successful since you are asking the right questions.

  3. a_akak says:
    March 9, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

    Its great to c u back sis :)

  4. Romana says:
    March 10, 2009 at 10:58 a.m.

    Ibee, thank you :)
    Self-employment sounds like an interesting thing, i havent seen that here in Libya though.

    LV- welcome, guess this is the first time u drop by? and inshalla 5er, thanks for ur input.

    akak :) thanks bro :)